The Secret History of Star Wars is an e-book that analyzes the evolution of the Star Wars saga. George Lucas wants us to believe that the Star Wars saga as it is known today has been thought up by him in this very way from the very beginning. Using script drafts and interviews, Michael Kaminski, the author, clearly shows that this is not the case. Among the revelations are:
- Lucas originally designed Star Wars as a single movie. The Episode IV title was added retroactively.
- The films were originally to be Luke’s adventures, not the tale of Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader.
- Anakin Skywalker and Darth Vader originally were two different characters, and were merged during the writing of Empire Strikes Back.
- Likewise, Leia only became Luke’s sister during the writing of Return of the Jedi.
- Much of the story of each of the films was thought up and changed during the writing of the scripts, and in some cases even during filming.
The book is very interesting to read, highly recommended for Star Wars fans!